Saturday 16 February 2013

Emerging from hibernation: Chemo cycle 6, final week

It's a few more days yet until Steve's final cycle of chemotherapy comes to an end, but we are beginning to emerge from hibernation and what better week to choose?  

We tossed pancakes on Tuesday, had a romantic candlelight dinner together to celebrate Valentines Day on Thursday and took a day trip to London yesterday. 

However, it nearly didn't happen! Checking Facebook over breakfast, we saw that Debbie in Plymouth (who went through the same chemo regime as Steve last year) had been taken into hospital with a fever and "rigours" - suspected pneumonia we learnt subsequently.  It's some time since Debbie finished her treatment, but it seems that her immune system is still not back up to full strength.  

Steve had a bit of a wobble as a result - should he risk picking up an infection by mixing with lots of people on a day out in London, given that he's still in the final cycle of treatment?  At one point, I thought he was going to stay at home, but in the end, he decided to take the risk and enjoy himself!

First stop, the National Portrait Gallery to see the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize Exhibition, followed by lunch.  In the afternoon, we strolled through Trafalgar Square, over Waterloo Bridge to the South Bank complex and into the Haywood Gallery to see the Light Show exhibition.  And jolly good it was too!  If you are in London, do try to visit.  

Here is Steve coming out of the blue!

After a rest in the rooftop Waterloo Sunset Pavilion, we walked along the Thames to Tate Modern, where we treated ourselves to tea before heading off to see the third and final exhibition of the day "A Bigger Splash".

With hindsight, that was probably an exhibition too far...we're not used to a full day's activity and both felt pretty tired by the time we emerged.  So we were happy to go back upstairs to the Members Room and sip some wine whilst admiring the wonderful views of the Thames, St Pauls Cathedral and the City as we waited for daughter Katie and partner Ed to join us for a meal and to catch up on news.  

What a lovely way to finish the evening!

The Oxford fast train was boarding as we arrived at Paddington, so no hanging about at the station for a change.  We were soon dozing off as we were whizzed back home.  Just time for a night cap before falling into bed!

Today we are both feeling the effects of a long day out and haven't had the energy to do much...just taking things very easy!  Looking forward to Let's Dance for Comic Relief nonsense this evening on TV as people do something funny to raise money for good causes in the UK and Africa.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, follow this link :-) 

Hope you are feeling better now Debbie - rest up and take care until you are fully recovered.  Sending love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment