The purpose of the biological therapy trial is to determine whether using two drugs, vandetanib and selumetinib, in combination is effective in the treatment of cancer.
- Vandetanib is a VEGFR (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptor) and EGFR (Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor) inhibitor; VEGF is a substance made by cells which helps new blood vesssels develop and grow. VEGR inhibitors stop cancers developing the blood vessels that they need to grow
- Selumetinib is a MEK (Mitogen Activated Kinase) inhibitor which blocks the pathway along which signals are sent to cells telling them to divide and grow
- If the two drugs can be given safely to patients when given together
- The maximum dose that can be given safely to patients
- More about the potential side effects of the drugs and how they can be managed
- What happens to vandetanib and selumetinib inside the body
|Not the VanSel drugs! I will post a picture of the real thing when we have both