Thursday 20 December 2012

Feeling festive, unexpected presents and a scan

I wondered how we would manage preparing for Christmas this year and whether Steve would be able to enjoy the festivities, knowing that he would be in the middle of chemotherapy and how the side effects of treatment can make life miserable at times.

Well, I needn't have worried.  The Christmas preparations have gone well.  The tree is up and dressed.  The house is decorated and there is a new wreath on the front door to welcome visitors and the New Year.

The wine rack has been put to good use and the kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer are full of delights and treats, ready to try out some new festive recipes as well as some old favourites.

There are already presents wrapped and under the tree waiting to be given out to family and friends that we will be meeting up with over the next few days, or opened on Christmas morning. The last few are due to be delivered shortly...

There have been two unexpected presents - a glittering dragonfly from Meso Warrior Debbie in Plymouth, which almost few out of the envelop and now has a special place on the Christmas tree.  Thank you so much Debbie, what a wonderful surprise!  

As for the other unexpected present .....The upside of chemo is that you have a good excuse NOT to go to the dentist - to minimize the risk of infection and excessive bleeding (as the chemo reduces the number of platelets which are needed to make blood clot).  The downside is that that if you don't resume regular dental check ups post-chemo, you are not aware of any tooth decay until there is a problem.  Which is what happened to Steve the other night.....

...Suddenly, out of the blue, one of his molars started to wobble.  Oh dear!  Nothing for it but to get an emergency dental appointment the next day, chemo or no chemo, to get it fixed.  Steve came home, minus one tooth with a plug of wadding in his mouth to help stop the bleeding.  

Much to our relief, there wasn't a lot of blood loss and although he had to use a straw to drink until the anesthetic wore off, everything is now back to normal.  He was very brave and left his tooth behind at the dentist as a present for the tooth fairy :-)

He's been brave again today - filled up with water and iodine and into the scanner at hospital to see what's been going on inside. In the normal course of events, the next few weeks would be marked by increasing bouts of "scanxiety," waiting and wondering what the results will be. However, this time round there are so many other things to look forward to and distract us, that I don't think it will be a great problem - at least not while the festivities last!

Sending love to each and every one of you at this special time of the year xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment