Wednesday 2 August 2023

Milestones on the road to recovery…

It amazes me to think that two weeks ago today, I was on the operating table having a length of bowel removed.  Recovery since then has been both rapid and dramatic.  However the rate of improvement is likely to slow down now, so I’ve been thinking about milestones for the final stretch to the finish line of full recovery - small “wins” I can celebrate knowing that it’s taking me closer to the end goal.  

Some milestones have specific dates, some are more like timescale periods, others are an unknown quantity, but I’ll know it when I get there.  

Bruising faded fully away

I’m nearly at that stage.  No more black, blue or green areas of bruising, just gently fading areas of pale yellow.  I think it will be gone completely in a week, if not sooner.

Biopsy results

The removed length of bowel and lymph nodes will be examined to see if the mass visible on the CT scan is cancer and, if so, whether its has spread as far as the lymph system (which would mean cancer cells could be circulating around the rest of the body already).  I was told that process takes a couple of weeks and the results would first be discussed at the Multi Disciplinary Team (MDT) before being conveyed to me.  If that timescale is correct, I will probably hear some time next week.  Fingers crossed for good news…

No more blood thinning injections

I’ve been injecting myself with blood thinning medication every night before bed since Day 3 post op (nurses did it before then).  The injections continue for 28 days, so the course of injections should be over by 16 August.  Then I can take the full sharps bin to my local pharmacy and give my poor punctured thighs a chance to recover!

Follow up meeting with the consultant

This meeting is booked in for 24 August.  Not sure what happens at this appointment, but I assume it’s to check progress and discuss any further treatment required.  If the mass is not cancer, or it is is cancer but not spread to lymph nodes, then the surgery will be curative.  Fingers crossed again. 

Ban on heavy lifting lifted

For six weeks after surgery, I’m not supposed to lift anything heavier than a full kettle.  That period should be over by 30 August, all being well.  I can think about resuming traveling when I feel ready to lift a hand luggage size roller case on and off trains and up and down stairs, an inevitable obstacle when traveling by public transport as I do.

Stitches dissolved

I’m told by the practice nurse at my GP surgery that I have stitches in my wounds which will dissolve in 6-8 weeks (so, 30 August-13 September).  I hope all the lumps and bumps along the sewing lines will also dissolve along with the stitches!  Judges in the Great British Sewing Bee would not be impressed by all the puckers and gathering…But although I’d rather have a flat seam, I’m actually not that bothered. However, it will be nice to get back to my normal underwear, rather than the big knickers I’ve been wearing to avoid rubbing the biggest wound along the bikini line.

Pain 

Pain is getting better, bit by bit.  But I’m still taking paracetamol 4 times day.  Looking forward to being able to cough and sneeze without having to hug my belly to stop it hurting.  Roll on the day when paracetamol no longer needed. Maybe when all the stitches have finally dissolved and nothing is catching?  

So…there are my milestones on the road to full recovery from now on.  I’m also working on a list of things to look forward to as I progress along that road.  But not holding my breath on any of these things until I know that the surgery has been curative.  Fingers crossed again!





No comments:

Post a Comment