Tuesday 15 August 2023

28 days post surgery and passing milestones on the road to recovery

Today marks the end of four weeks since having surgery to remove part of my bowel and cut out a mass suspected of being cancer and a stricture which had reduced the size of the gut diameter so significantly that a complete bowel blockage was waiting to happen in the not too distant future.  

At the time of writing, I still haven’t heard whether the mass visible on a CT scan was malignant or benign.  I guess I’ll find out next week when I see the consultant again.  But I’m working on the assumption that no news is good news.  If it was cancer and had spread to the lymph system, I’m pretty sure I’d have been informed by now and be discussing further treatment options.

As I’m is, I’m pleased to say that several milestones have now been passed on the road to recovery.  

All the bruising on my abdomen has faded away completely.  

I’ve stopped taking pain relief four times a day, safe in the knowledge that it’s there if I need it (haven’t so far).  

The last blood thinning med injection was self-administered yesterday, and the full sharps bin will be returned to my local pharmacy shortly.  The tiny punctures on my thighs and little bit of bruising due to my inexperienced injecting will disappear soon, I hope.  I’m not afraid of needles, but I found that sticking one in myself wasn’t that easy.  Major respect for those who have no choice but to do this several times a day, every day, forever…

The four small “stab” wounds where the laparoscopic instruments were inserted have healed beautifully, and when the stitches blow the surface have fully dissolved (it takes 6-8 weeks post op for this to happen, I’m told) the wounds should be a bit flatter compared to the small bumps below the skin I can feel at the moment.  The “disembowelment” cut along the bikini line is taking longer to heal partly because it became infected and partly because it’s where my body bends when I’m sitting down and the wound opens up and closes a little with each “creasing” movement.  

A short course of antibiotics seems to have sorted out the infection and the GP’s practice nurse says that although the wound is still weeping a little and the healing is taking longer than usual, it’s still going in the right direction.  I can discuss with the consultant next week, if it’s still a problem. In the meantime, I’ll just have to be patient and let nature take its course.  And maybe spend less time sitting down!  

I’m still in the period when lifting anything heavier than a full kettle of water is banned, but I did spend several hours walking around with my big camera at the weekend without any problems, so I’m getting there.  

Next big event on the road to recovery will be a follow up meeting on 24 August with the consultant who did the operation. Unless, of course, I get a phone call in the meantime to tell me the biopsy results…Ever the optimist, I’ve started making plans to travel and meet up with friends once I’m OK to do some heavy lifting again, and assuming that no further treatment is necessary.  And there’s a first grandchild who is due to arrive in about a months time.  Something very special to look forward to!  




No comments:

Post a Comment