Tuesday 18 July 2023

The final countdown 5-4-3-2-1

I’m in the final countdown before surgery, and keeping everything crossed that my operation won’t get bumped again…all the more so, bearing in mind that currently the appointment is slotted in between the end of the junior doctors strike the day before and the start of the consultants strike the day after the scheduled operation.  

I’ve been trying to stay positive and making the most of these last few days as who knows how life will be post surgery - assuming all goes well, of course.

Five - 14 July

I did rehabilitation walk #12, just over 3 miles (apparently, the fitter you are pre-surgery, the quicker you recover post-surgery).  My fitness trends are looking good!



Four 15 July

A bit of a mad scramble in the morning to clear/clean up and prepare a nice lunch for a friend visiting from America, who had phoned yesterday to arrange a last minute visit.  It was good to be sociable for a change, and we did my Prehabilitation Walk together (3.15 miles).  

After he left, I started sorting out the items I need to take into hospital with me and prepared an old phone by removing sensitive information so that I can take it in with me to communicate without significant risks if it gets lost or stolen.  

Three - 16 July

Time to do a few household chores before setting off on Prehabilitation walk #14, along the Oxford Canal to the Library of Things which was holding a “repair cafe”.  My pressure washer has never worked properly since it was bought and is now completely dead.  I was hoping they could resuscitate it, but no luck.  Still I did manage to clock up another 3+ miles and avoid the rain.  The afternoon was spent watching the thrilling men’s Wimbledon tennis final, and catching up with a few emails.  Still many to answer…

Two - 17 July

I have started packing for my stay in hospital.  The advice is somewhat contradictory, but it seems like they want you to arrive with the bare minimum - nightclothes and toiletries, a book/magazine and any essential medical stuff (I assume that includes glasses and hearing aids, as well as any medicines). I will also pack an eye mask and noise reducing earbuds.

The person who accompanies you Theatre Direct Admissions, then takes away any non-essential stuff like bags and coat. They are then expected to bring you clean day and night clothes and anything else you need once you are back on the ward recovering post operation.  So…two bags it is!

As well as “Prehabilitation” walks, I’ve also been preparing mentally for recovery.  Depending on the source of information, I could be in hospital anything from three to ten days, which makes planning ahead a bit difficult!  However, this is generally what I can look forward to:

Day of surgery - sit up in bed, sit in chair, have something to drink 

Post op Day 1 - sit in chair twice, go for two walks, have something to drink

Post op Day 2 - sit in chair twice, go for two walks, have something to eat

Post op Day 3 - sit in chair twice, go for three walks, eat, drink and get dressed

I’ll be allowed to go home when assessed as medically fit for discharge; effectively controlling pain; eating and drinking with no nausea or vomiting; able to get out of bed and on/off toilet independently; independent with stoma care (if applicable) and competent with administration of blood thinning injections (if applicable).  

I did my penultimate prehabilitation walk along the Thames and Cherwell revivers and around the Botanic Gardens, which was lovely.  

Still no call from the hospital, so it looks like the surgery is going ahead..

One 18 July

As I don’t know when I’ll be able to wash my hair again and it’s getting a bit unruly, I treated myself to a visit to the hairdressers this morning.  The walk there and back was my last “prehabilitiation” walk before surgery tomorrow.

Around midday, I started bowel preparation - 10 senna tablets.  I don’t need to tell you what that does!  And shortly after that, I phoned the hospital to find out what time I should arrive.  The answer?  7am.  Looks like I’m first on the list.  Early night tonight ready to meet up with daughter Katie at 6.30am as she’s taking me to hospital.  

The rest of today will be taken up with bowel preparation.  Two doses of stuff called Citramag at 2pm and 5pm designed to cause severe diarrhoea; four drinks of “PreOp” today and two tomorrow before 5am, a high carb drink to give me some energy; half a pint of water every half an hour to keep me hydrated.  No solid food and only clear fluids between now and 5am tomorrow morning when its nil by mouth until after surgery.  

It’s real.  It’s going to happen.  Tomorrow. Not sure when I’ll be able to update the blog again.  Please check back in a few days time…Wish me luck!  

I now have a series of appointments with the loo….







No comments:

Post a Comment