Friday 30 June 2023

Bumped

 You wouldn’t believe the effort that’s gone into the logistical arrangements to get me into hospital, out of hospital and provide support at home for a couple of weeks post-surgery based on an operation happening on 5 July…and all at breakneck speed as we had less than a fortnight’s notice of surgery and the date clashed with both kids’ travel plans…

Now what I feared might happen, has happened.  Just had a phone call from the consultant’s secretary to say that my operation has been pushed back to 19 July to accommodate a more urgent case. Obviously, that must be so if someone is in more urgent need than me.  

However, there’s been so much time and effort getting ready for 5 July, and now its all wasted.  Daughter Katie had fit in taking me to hospital around work, holiday and maternity-related appointments.  Son Jack had to cancel his trip to Geneva so he could be here to support me on my return from hospital, while Katie is having a last pre-baby holiday break. Friends have been put on standby to do shopping, empty bins, cook meals, do the heavy lifting…Now, we’ll have to start all over again.  

In the UK, junior doctors finish their strike on 18 July and consultants are due to go on strike on 20 July, so my new surgery date slots in between the two.  Phew!  But the delay brings the operation closer to my birthday at the end of July. I don’t think I’ll be dancing in the street this year…

On the bright side, at least I hadn’t started the bowel preparation; no purging or fasting next week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment